Teen Patti is an Indian variant of poker and is extremely popular among Indian card game enthusiasts. It can be played with or without money involved and is enjoyed by people of all age groups. With technological improvements, now you can also enjoy this game online using casino apps or online casino websites.
This card game is not solely for gambling enthusiasts playing for money but is popular during Indian celebrations and gatherings. Families who enjoy playing card games together are most likely to play a round or two of this Indian poker during the festival of Diwali or wedding gatherings. It’s that big of a deal here!
If you are not well-aware of this game and would love to get to know about it, you’ve reached the right spot! Here we have all the information about Teen Patti– right from the ‘how-tos’ to some nifty strategies and hacks for a sure win!
Want to know all about it? Let’s get started!
Teen Patti- Overview
This card game originated in India- nobody knows when and why. Resultantly, it is very ‘desi’ (indigenous) in essence. The name ‘teen patti’ literally translates to ‘Three Cards’, hinting its link to the English game of ‘Three-Card Brag’. Both these games have been influenced or inspired by ‘poker’. It is also known as ‘Flush’ or ‘Flash’, but if you’re anything like a regular Indian chap, chances are, you don’t have any idea about these alternative names.
It is essentially a gambling card game but is widely enjoyed by Indian families with or without involving money. It is played using the standard deck of 52 cards, minus the jokers.
Since the ban on gambling in India mixed with high-speed internet and smartphones, this game is now available on online platforms like Leo Vegas Casino, JungleRaja, etc as well. This increased its popularity because now players can access it anywhere via their cellular devices and have a range of variations they can choose from online.
How to Play
This game is usually played among 3 to 6 individuals but the maximum limit of players is 10. A standard deck of cards is used for the match. Similar to its root-game, Poker, it starts with placing a bet. Before the cards are distributed, there needs to be a betting amount mutually decided by the players. This amount is called ‘boot’ and is the minimum amount at stake for the commencement of the game. The amount is then collected from each player and kept in a pot that goes in the center of the table or playing area.
Once the boot is in place, each player gets 3 cards to face down. After the cards are dealt, now comes the poker-originated part. The first player makes a ‘call’ or a ‘raise’. A call is when you will play your turn but not increase the bet. A raise refers to adding cash to the initial ‘boot’ amount in the pot, willing to win or lose more than the boot amount.
In this step, however, it should be kept in mind that in Teen Patti, the bets are in equal amounts, unlike poker. This means if you make a bet of 2 coins and another player raises to 4, you will need to place an additional 4 coins instead of 2 to the previous 2.
This is how the game progresses, always clockwise. Further in the game, the initial bet amount multiplies and is finally won by the person who beats everyone else with the best or highest hand according to the rules.
The goal of the game is to have the top 3-card hand and to increase the pot before the end of the game. Here, Aces are of the highest ranks and 2 is the lowest. With this in mind, the card rankings in descending order are:
- Trail or set (three cards of the same rank)
- Pure sequence or Straight Flush (three consecutive cards of the same suit)
- Sequence or run (Consecutive cards of different suits)
- Color (three non-consecutive cards of the same suit)
- Pair (two cards of the same rank, highest rank wins)
- High card (none of the other sets are made. The highest or second-highest card will decide the winner)
Strategies for a Win!
- Play Blind: Playing blind means not seeing your cards while placing bets. This allows you to place the smallest bets possible, hence putting lesser chips at stake. If the seen players have a weak hand, you have an upper hand in the game even when you don’t know your cards. This way you maximize your winning possibility without a high risk factor.
- Place Bets: This is a strategy often used to bluff other players. You should place bets even when you don’t have the strongest hand, but make sure it is related to the relative strength of your cards. This leads to your opponent getting tricked to think that you have strong cards and they end up folding their cards.
- Slideshow: Slideshow is the step where the last person who placed the bet is required to show you his hand. It is a great option when you are confident that you have a better hand than your opponent. You need to place your bet before requesting a slideshow, and ensure that the player is not playing blind. This allows you to compare your hand with the opponent and get an upper hand in the game.
- Face Reading: Since this game is inspired by poker, the term ‘poker face’ or neutral expressions is a must to follow. However, new players are not the best at keeping their expressions from peeking through. Keep a keen eye on the expressions, pattern of playing, and gestures to get a clear view of what you’re getting into.
- Pack and Fold: In this game, go with your gut. If at any point you feel like you have a weaker hand, save yourself your chips and fold the cards. This means you don’t have to add any more chips in the pot during that particular hand. This is a great way to save losses.
Teen Patti is an excellent card game for everyone and a must-try poker variant for all gambling lovers out there. Get yourself a deck of cards or head to Indian online casinos and enjoy the great game!